Arya Samaj Marriage: Its Concept, Procedure, and Rituals!
Not only, Hindu, Muslim, Christian Marriages are legally accepted in India; there’s also another form of marriage which is considered valid and i.e., the “Arya Samaj Marriage.” The Arya Samaj Marriage in India is governed by the Special Marriage Act of 1954 and is also legally valid as per the ‘Arya Samaj Marriage Validation Act of 1937 amongst all Buddhists, Jains, and Sikhs also who just have to convert themselves into Hindus at an Arya Samaj Mandir (if they wish so).
The concept of this marriage form which is based on ‘Vedic culture and tradition’ was founded by ‘Swami Dayananda Saraswati’ in 1875. And, now considering the recent ongoing pandemic situation, Arya Samaj Marriage is an even more preferred option for couples who’re looking for a simple and economical way of doing marriage.
Now, moving forward, to have a better understanding of the Arya Samaj marriage, let’s look at its given below rituals which are almost similar to any other marriage but unlike other marriages, Arya Samaj marriage only takes 1 to 2 hours of your time to get you married.
- Havan or Yagna
- Four Phere or Parikrama of the Holy Fire
- Saptapadi (bride and groom take 7 steps together that signifies health, good luck, strength, love, wealth, food, and offspring.)
- Sindoor Daan
So, these are the rituals, that couples have to follow while getting married to each other in an Arya Samaj Mandir and now moving on let’s look at the procedure involved in conducting and registering Arya Samaj Marriage:
- Documents required of both parties:
- Age Proof Document
- Address Proof Document
- Residential Proof Document
- 6/7 Passport size photographs
- A separate affidavit stating that the parties are not related to each other within the degree of prohibited relationship
- Copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee
- Copy of death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower
- One passport size photograph and identity/address proof document of each of the two witnesses
- Photocopy of Identity Document of each of the two witnesses
- Appointment needs to be taken at Arya Samaj Mandir
- Finalization of documentation by your lawyer
- Solemnization of marriage in 2 hours
- Arya Samaj marriage certificate from Arya Samaj Mandir
- Marriage registration at the office of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM)
Not only these, the bride and groom also need to fulfil the certain eligibility criteria along with following the rules of Arya Samaj that only a lawyer can make you understand in a better way. Also, the procedure involved in conducting and registering Arya Samaj Marriage that we’ve above-mentioned is not in-depth. It is just briefly mentioned and therefore, to have a more in-depth understanding of the same, you have to hire an Arya Samaj marriage lawyer.